Your transmission is one of the more complex parts of your engine. It is better to have your car serviced regular to pick up problems before they occur but there are some signs that can tell you that you are having problems with your transmission.
Signs that there are problems with your transmission include:
- Your car hesitates, refuses to go into gear or slips out of gear
- Your gears are jerky
- On manual cars your clutch drags
- The engine revs suddenly
- For automatic transmissions when shifting into drive or park there’s a delay before it engages
- Odd noises from your engine including whining, clunking, grinding or humming
- Leaking oil
- Low oil levels – letting the oil levels get low is a common reason for transmission problems
- Slow acceleration
- Burnt smell to your oil or it is brown in colour – it is definitely time to change your oil – a burning smell from the engine can means there’s increased engine friction, corrosion and a build-up of sludge
If you notice any problems with your transmission it is important to have them looked at immediately. Taking action as soon as you notice a problem will save you money by avoiding the need for expensive repairs at a later date.
Better still, regular maintenance and servicing will mean any problems will be avoided, you car will stay healthy and you will be a happy motorist.